IN SACRIFICIO TRIUMPHANS
The Palazzo dei Mutilati e Invalidi di Guerra opens to the public
- Inaugurated on September 16, 1934, based on a project by Arch. Prof. Francesco Banterle of Verona. The portal of the Art déco building is guarded by two large sculptural groups, each made from a single block of Quinzano stone (which the whole "House" is covered with) and a Victory in bas-relief in the attic. An almost unknown treasure of the city: a place of memory, it preserves intact furnishings, symbols, furnishings, works of profound historical and civic value. Beyond the suggestive entrance door opens to anyone who enters a suggestive scenario in which space and time seem to have stopped. The members of the Council (living invalids and voluntary descendants) who, with their active presence keep alive the memory of the "House of Sacrifice", by opening the doors of the headquarters, among other countless reasons, intend to promote the extension of the historical memory and that is the mission of ANMIG: the unstoppable passing of the years, the inevitable immanence of life lead the protagonists of the complex events that tormented the nineteenth century and, with them, an immense patrimony of values, ideals and of vivid and intense testimonies. The precious and rare narration of the terrible and, at the same time, compelling stories of the survivors obliges each one of them inestimable inheritance, woven with the threads of freedom, democracy and justice: making this place known to everyone is one of the many ways to do it. Free entrance to the palace and visit
"Antonio Girelli" room is dedicated to Prof. Antonio Girelli - 1894/1970 - President of the Veronese Section Anmig until 1967. The House of the Mutilated was built under his presidency, inaugurated on September 16, 1934. The room is formed on the ground floor by a hall and from the Hall itself which has a capacity of 170 seats. The chairs are all in original wood.